[AJD] 440 Crawler

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 18:50:05 PST 2005

    I went to the body shop to pick up my wheels that
I had painted (I am a fair weather painter.)  for my
41 A,  and got in a conversation with the owner about
his 440 crawler he has.   He is looking to sell it and
get into a 350.

    I don't know much about any JD crawlers after the
40,  so I really wasn't all the helpful to him.   He
says it is a gas rig.  The main question he has,  is
the 350 a bigger or smaller or about equal in size.
I think when they started the 350, 450,  550,  etc..
series it had nothing to do with the 420, 430 ,440
series as far as sizes go.

     He said it runs well,  but has a broken roller,
and is prone to throwing tracks if not treated with a
little finess.   My guess without seeing it was that
the crawler was probably worth around 5K and he could
get into a good 350 for around 10K.   He is looking to
get a six way blade and a winch on the 350,  so maybe
a bit more.

      Are there any 440 owners out there?  How does it
compare to the 350?   I really don't know much about
the 440's but I told him I would help him sell his
through the local two cylinder club if he would like
so I am trying to educate myself a bit.

                       Chris