[AT] computer problems

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jan 16 18:19:43 PST 2005

The actual USB ports that you see on the outside of your computer are at
least one tier down from the Host or Root Hub.  They could be two or
three tiers down.  They have to be.  That's part of the mandated
standard.  The host MAY be on the card that your technician is putting
into your computer, Cecil, but if it is, and the old host is not
disabled or removed, then you will continue to be running at "USB 1.0
full speed" rather than "USB 2.0 high-full speed."  If your computer has
its internal communications with modem, keyboard, mouse, tablet,
integrated pointing device, internal hard drive, floppy drives, PCMCIA
slot, CD and/or DVD drives, or a whole host of other devices, via a USB
host that is running at the 1.0 standard he's going to have a devil of a
time giving you USB 2.0 speed.  You can't tell what the internal
communication standard is just by looking at it.

The big drawback to USB is that any system can have one and only one
host.  If your OEM host is USB 2.0 that has been hamstrung by having a
USB 1.0 card inserted on the motherboard, then you'll be in luck and be
able to simply have the output card replaced.

What kind of connector does your OEM mouse have on it?  If it's a USB
"A", then I doubt that you'll get a simple changeover to USB 2.0.  If
it's the round pin bus-mouse connector, then you may luck out because
that would mean that the internal communications MAY not have been
controlled by the USB host.

BTW, USB ports and hubs can be daisy-chained to a maximum of 127.

This is more than you wanted to read about this topic.

Larry