[AT] Backing up tractor pictures and degenerating into a ramble.

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sun Jan 16 17:45:26 PST 2005

Yes, I saw the giggles, Walt.  No, I haven't calculated the inches to
the sun, but what's a little more important is the way some of the
standards are being written today.  The maximum cable length for
high-full speed USB (the 480 Mbs variety) is specified as "the shorter
of 4.5 meters or 25 nanoseconds electrical length."  I cannot for the
life of me figure out how the 4.5 meter hard wire or optical distance (a
little less than 16 nanoseconds) would not always be shorter than the 25
nanosecond electrical length.  But I suppose I'm forgetting about
hysteresis or some other delay line phenomenon.

BTW, you can tell the standard of USB cable simply by looking at it.  If
it's detachable from the hardware, it's mandated to be USB 2.0 high-full
speed.  If it's a captive cable that is the same diameter as the
detachable style, it could be USB 1.0 full speed.  If it's captive and
is only about an 1/8" in diameter (like that on mice, computer tablets,
some keyboards, etc) then it is low speed.

Larry