[AT] Cockshutt report

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Jan 16 15:20:40 PST 2005

The wind finally let up on the weekend so even though it was still -20 by
day it still felt relatively comfortable working outside. I fired up the 50
yesterday to run a few bales through the hammer mill and it worked great. No
sign of any damage from its running short of oil in the valve train for who
knows how long. I'm doing a coolant flush on it now. Seems to be a lot of
sludge in the block on this tractor.
The 40 was not quite so successful. I changed the suspect coil to see if it
would cure the cutting out problem under load. I'd have to say it made no
difference at all. Tractor still started up good but would not keep running
without choke until I adjusted the load needle on the carb again. After a
long warm up I tried some snow blowing. It ran good for about 5 minutes and
then began cutting out every time I got the snow blower running full. Choke
helped but too much would cut the rpm while not enough just let the engine
die. A couple of times I was too slow on the chke button and the engine did
die. Heres where it gets interesting. After the engine re-starts it will
work good for a few minutes until it seemingly runs short of fuel again and
I have to go through the same choking procedure.
I managed to get the driveway cleared and re-parked the tractor in the shed
in hopes of trying a different carburetor. I did find the spare Zenith
carburetor but I'll have to take it apart to check it out for missing parts
or other problems.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/