[AJD] 1950 A surging at idle

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 20:43:42 PST 2005

John and others,

         My parts and drill bits arrived from Robert's earlier in the week.  Three of the four carbs that I had cleaned up ready for drilling had the 'hidden passage' clogged with rust.  I blew air through each passageway first to see what I could get through them, and I would have thought they were clear,  but once the drill went to work,  there was a LOT of stuff in them.

        Hopefully I will get the time to take the carb off my 1950 A in the next few days and see what the drills get out of it.  I think John will be right on as to it's problem,  I will post the results when I get them.

        Thanks again for all the advice and tips.

                                              Chris

John Paur <johnjanpaur at directcon.net> wrote:
Dee, Chris. There is a short passage that runs perpendicular into the stem
that goes into & thru the bowl (the fuel nozzel is inside it). It's just
above the middle of the stem and there is a brass plug that must be removed
to reach it. I would be willing to make a wager that that passage is
plugged. When it is cleaned you can see the tip of the idle needle if you
look thru the passage. If it is plugged (and I'll bet that it is), it may
be difficult to tell that there is a passage there but use your drill (# 51)
and you will find it. Remove the idle needle before you start drilling the
goup out or you may damage the tip when you drill thru the passage. See if
that works. John