[AT] Meals

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Fri Jan 14 07:27:09 PST 2005

     Breakfast, lunch and supper...    ;-)
     A dinner was something you went away or gathered for like a family dinner
or a meal at an evening farm related dinner.
     If planting was running a little late and pressure building lunch and
sometimes supper was in sandwich form so it could be eaten with one hand while
driving a tractor. We never ran over night but at planting time past midnight
wasn't uncommon. In that case another "snack" was sometimes delivered at about
10 PM
     When plowing we usually had a long spring on one steering arm of the Ford
and Ferguson tractors so that if you let go of the wheel it would steer toward
the furrow wall. That made eating easier. When disking or dragging etc it was
possible to steer with your feet on the rear end of the steering arms.
    To this day I am still a big fan of sandwiches (OK, most food) and one of
my grandsons is always poking me about putting almost anything in a bun or
between two slices of bread.
    There was no such thing as eating out at a restaurant... My maternal
grandmother had owned a restaurant long ago (before my time) but my parents
just would not eat out. My father had traveled the state fair circuit with an
auto dare devil outfit (auto polo) back in the 1920's and said he got sick of
always eating in restaurants. I doubt if he ate 50 restaurant meals over the
rest of his life (he lived to 84) and those were on the road. I won't try to
estimate how many restaurant meals I have had...   ;-)

--
farmer, Esq.
      Wealth beyond belief, just no money...

Francis Robinson