[AT] Re[2]: Charity auction

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Thu Jan 13 12:30:34 PST 2005

Interestingly but predictably, my personal mail ran like this:
Participants said "Thank you" and the non-participants said "How dare you!"

Having had a couple days to calm down, I find that I can't calm down and am
actually still quite upset about all of this.   Allow me to answer
everyone's email and then I will drop the subject and not speak of it
again:

>In short, if you don't want everyone's opinion, don't ask for it.

I use the lists as a convenience for reaching auction participants, and
have done so every year.   This year is no different

>Having read this one and the latest post today, I am a little puzzled
>by your comments.

Shouldn't be puzzled.  I was very explicit - I am not singling out any one
person.   The problem was the sheer number of posts from non-participants -
It outnumbered participants.   The non-participant opinions were in the
decided minority in previous years so I over-looked it.  Since it was an
aberration in previous years it wasn't a problem; but you can bet I think
it is a problem now that it is the rule and not an aberration.

(I received this message personally, but hid his identity and am responding
publicly because he brings up a point that I want to make clear to
everyone.)
>To Spencer:
>Whether you intended it or not, it sounds like you're talking about
charity
>contributions as a condition of participation on the ...lists...

No, it is not a requirement for participation in the lists.  However,
having said that, participation is a simple favor that I and the volunteers
have asked of each of you in recognition of the efforts of ATIS volunteers
and myself.  Considering you would be buying parts and manuals and engines
and tools you would normally buy anyways or donating stuff you would
normally give away to friends, this is not a big sacrifice nor a big favor
to ask.   On top of that, if for some reason anyone really thinks that all
of this should be totally and utterly free, without even so much of a
thank-you, I would simply hope these folks would acknowledge they have no
right to say a _thing_ about the proceeds of that auction.

...snip...
>If you bring volunteers together to help with something, don't let them
>stand around. Make sure you have a precise list of things that need to be
>done and let them get right to work (learned from working as a volunteer
>and with volunteers at our local club)

As for volunteers - I gave up years ago.   Over time it always whittles
back to the same 12 volunteers.  If it weren't for those dozen people (you
all know who you are - Thanks!), I wouldn't get ANY help and can't keep
going back to that trough for more water.

>Spencer,
>...many times the people who tell you that what you are
>doing is a bad idea are your best friends and in fact have your best
>interest in mind.

Again - I was very specific.  I am not mad about the tsunami idea - I
actually have no feeling one way or another.  It is just a few charities
called and said there is a tremendous need so I floated the idea.   I have
no problem donating elsewhere.  My beef with list members is NOT about the
tsunami relief ( where the money goes is immaterial to me, as long as it
does some good).  It is about a BUNCH of people failing to acknowledge a
debt of gratitude to my volunteers and myself and then talking out of turn
and dis-respecting those that have participated.

>...If maybe you promoted it more...

I refuse to be a constant cheerleader, coercing everyone to do just one
little thing a year that LEAVES THE cheer-ees in a better position.   If
you can't figure out it is in your best interest I am not going to point it
out.  I want nothing to do with someone that needs to be cajoled to do a
friend, who provides a free service, a favor by participating in an auction
that leaves that person better off AND helps those less fortunate.

This is a corporate symptom of a collective unwillingness to acknowledge a
debt of gratitude is owed to a dedicated group of volunteers that make this
site and lists possible.  Most amazing part of this whole deal is this
auction, for the most part and for most people, leaves you better off.
There are no free lunches but the lunches at the ATIS counter are as cheap
as they get and if its too expensive for you, then you can't afford tractor
or engine talk.

I feel the worst most of the volunteers who right think their contribution
doesn't matter to anyone.   Right now, I am inclined to agree.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net