[AT] Tractor Weight (now Ramble - LONG)

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Wed Jan 12 22:09:23 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert McBride <mcbride6 at netrover.com>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2005 5:07 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Tractor Weight (now Ramble - LONG)

> Back in those days too, there seemed to be more snow in the winter and
> they had a homemade snow plow for the tractor. It was made mostly from
> wood with steel cutting edge.

I wish I had some decent photos of the old snowplow my Dad used back in the
fifties and sixties to keep the roads open. He and several other farmers
formed a snowplow club and went together to purchase a v plow built by a
welding shop. Quite a well made piece of machinery, all steel and about 4
feet high or more. No hydraulic lift on this one either. It just ran on
skids with two crossed chains to the front axle and a long push bar going to
the back. I can still remember helping hitch it up to the Cockshutt 50. Most
of
the other club members tractors were in the 40 to 50 hp class in those days.
 W6 McCormicks, Massey44s. I'm not sure but I think my Dad even used the
 John Deere D on it before he got the 50. The D was a bit slow for that job
though. You needed speed to really make the snow fly off the curved wings
 of that V plow.
I never was old enough to drive it but I know my Dad put in some pretty cold
hours on that tractor keeping the roads open for the school bus.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/