[AT] Tractor Weight (now Ramble - LONG)

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Wed Jan 12 09:51:24 PST 2005

The reason I asked for the weight of the tractor was to see what type of
trailer it would take to haul one.  Now for the rest of the story...

	My grandfather died when I was about 6 so I do not remember him, but I
have heard a lot about him from family and relatives.  He came over from
Germany as a child and worked his early adult years for the railroad to get
money to start farming.   He was a very progressive farmer for the
time.  Besides farming, they did a lot of custom work.  All summer my one
uncle would take the best team of horses and work for the county pulling
gravel scrapers.  The first tractor they purchased was an F-12 which they
bought not to do heavy tillage, but to do cultivating and light work.  My
dad said he spent many, many hours each year doing custom cultivating  for
other farmers, besides cultivating their own crops, as most people only had
horse-drawn cultivators.  At some time after this, he purchased 3 thrash
machines: a grain machine, an edible bean machine, and a clover
huller.  These machines he ran with an F-20, which by this time he had
purchased.
	However, due to the fact that they ran the machines all summer and into
the winter, the tremendous hours (plus the fact that the machine was being
loaded so heavily) wore the tractor out.  In fact at one stop, my dad said
the tractor had lost so much power that the neighbors made fun of it by
pulling the heads off the wheat and throwing just the heads in to the
thrashing machine.  At this point, my grandfather purchased a WK-40 (as
mentioned by one or two replies to my previous post, the K denoted
kerosene, while a W-40 was gas only).  As shown in some of the books, the
WK-40 has over twice the belt horsepower of an F-20.  All of the neighbors
laughter quickly turned to sweat.  It appeared the tractor was unstoppable,
as illustrated by what a neighbor (not long since deceased) had told me.
	At the time Michigan law required that someone had to be sitting on the
tractor whenever the thrashing machine was running in case someone fell
in.  Many times that was my grandfather, who always smoked a pipe and was
known as quite a "thinker".  According to the story, the machine
plugged.  However, it didn't phase the tractor.  Our neighbor said smoke
was rolling off the belt.  Someone had to runn back to the tractor and tell
my grandfather the machine was plugged so he could shut it off.  Another
time, the next-door neighbor had a sod field he could not plow with the
horses.  When my uncle pulled in with the WK-40 and a three-bottom plow,
the neighbor said it couldn't be done.  However, when my uncle dropped the
3 plows into the ground and headed across the field, they said this
neighbor literally dropped down on his knees in disbelief.  (My uncle has
said they didn't make much money on that job because they had to plow in
low gear and fuel consumption was high.)
	Shortly after this, my uncle and my grandfather got into an argument.  My
grandfather, being the dad, won when they switched the tractor over to
rubber tires.  My uncle wanted steel because it was his job to set up the
machine, usually in a barnyard.  Usually he could back it in and have it
set in 20 minutes with the steel and lug wheels.  However, with rubber
tires, he sometimes fought for 2 hours to get the machine placed where he
wanted it in the slippery barnyard.  (I will leave it to your imagination
to decide why the barnyard was slippery!)
	As the older boys married and left home, my grandfather decided to get out
of the custom business.  However, he felt he could not do that as long as
he owned that big tractor, so it was sold and a Farmall H was purchasedin
its place.  After that, when someone wanted custom work done, he told them
he did not own a tractor big enough to adequately run the machines to do
custom work.
	Although we have only seen pictures of this tractor, my brother has
recently decided that he would, if possible, like to locate the original
tractor.  Unfortunately, those that knew anything about it are now
deceased.  My one uncle (in his mid-80s) says he did not have much to do
with the tractor but thinks it was sold to someone with a
sawmill.  According to other people, there were only 3 of those tractors in
this area.  After making 30 or 40 phone calls, my brother has verified that
they did exist.  He also has called everybody he knows that has had or
still has a sawmill.  He has sort of come to a dead end on locating the
original, although he did find one sawmill owner who has one who still uses
it to run the mill.  It was overhauled 8 years ago.  This was the reason
for the post on the weight.  Should he find one, he was wondering if his
trailer was capable of hauling it.
	The guy who still uses his WK-40 on his sawmill says he has been offered
$17,000 for it, but he has 2 sons that want it.
Hope this story is of some interest to list members.

Greg Hass