[AT] JD adj wheels

Billy Hood aggie1967 at msn.com
Tue Jan 11 18:53:53 PST 2005

I had sold a JD 60 gas to a friend at Malakoff and he was going to pick it up Sunday.  I went the the farm Saturday and was going to move one wheel in in order to fit on his 84" trailer--It might have been easier for me to deliver it on my trailer, but this part of the story would never have developed.  I broke the bolts holding the wedges loose and the adjuster bolts (i call them hammer bolts) were removed and oiled.  I did not want to mushroom the heads with a sledge, and as I get older and older, I try to work smarter, not harder.

Went back to the shop and built  a C  clamp adapter that bolted over the axle and gave me a surfact to push against with the wedge from my 10 ton porta power.  I had the wheel loose and moved in a few minutes.  Was so easy that I moved the other side to have it free for my buddy.  The adapter took maybe an hour to fabricate and was well worth it.

We loaded it with a cable and snatch block in a few minutes and enjoyed a thermos of coffee on the tailboard of my truck before he took off.  I will try to remember to take and post a picture--I never have a camera when the opportunity arises.
Bear