[AJD] need some help with PTO ???

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Tue Jan 11 19:18:42 PST 2005

Bobby:

I think you will find most older equipment was set up for 540 RPM which is a
standard. 540 RPM only occurs at the PTO at near to full tractor throttle so
you will be able to start slow and work your way up when testing. There also
is a later 1000 RPM STD but wasn't used for typical three point or tag along
implements or on older implements. Running too slow isn't as big an issue
from a safety point of view as running too fast but the implement will have
to run at the right RPM to function properly. I would bet heavily it is 540
RPM.

 A bigger issue may be the size of the PTO shaft itself. There are 2 to
three different STD sizes of PTO shafts and you will need to make sure the
tractor and implement mate properly. Working off the top of my head (really
dangerous) two sizes come to mind like 1 3/8" and 1 1/8 or 1 1/4. Your
tractor manual should tell you what size it has and then you can usually
slide the PTO coupler off the implement to test if it fits your tractor's
shaft size.

You might want to test it on your B as well to see if it fits but I don't
recall the size of the shaft on your JD B at the moment either. I have all
my manuals in a temporary storage situation right now or I probably could
look this up but.....   A little testing will get you there.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door

www.deerelegacy.com