[AT] Classic Blast

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Tue Jan 11 08:42:52 PST 2005

All, the use of appropriately sized walnut shell pieces as a blast media has
been documented for decades for use on wood pieces and soft metal. The
challenge for those of us who grow walnuts has always been getting the
pieces the right size. I have never found the correct size to go through a
blast system locally. In the 1930's there were a variety of articles in
machining publications about use of walnut shells. I do not know if there is
a difference between the use of California black walnut shells and English
Walnut shells, but there might be as the black walnut shells are harder.
    In short this information provided by Mr. Deardorff makes sense. Also
his comment about rust protection could be due in part to the consumption of
the Aluminum Oxide or something about the annealing action of the blasting
with the combination. It would probably take electron microscope
investigation to be certain....
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California