[AT] Coil test?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Jan 10 13:24:21 PST 2005

There are several ways to test a condenser. One is to simply replace it
with a known good one. Another is to take the condenser out of the
distributor, connect the shell to the ground and the lead to the "hot"
side of the battery for a few seconds. Then, very carefully, bend the
wire around to that it touches the shell. You should get a very nice
"snap" and a healthy blue spark as the stored charge releases. (That is
the "old timer's" test.) There are also condenser test settings on high
end digital meters, but you have already written that you don't have one
of those.

I have a Tecumseh engine on an old Troy Built tiller that had a bad
condenser, and I went nuts trying to figure out what was wrong with the
engine - the same problem that you are experiencing with your tractor.
Once I replaced the condenser, the engine ran fine.

Mike

Ralph Goff wrote:

> Now the condensor is something I have not tested although I did replace the
> points. In my experience the condensors seem to last a lot longer than the
> points on these tractors. How would a person test a condensor?
>
> Ralph in Sask.
> http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Today's public figures can no longer write their own speeches or books,
and there is some evidence that they can't read them either. -Gore Vidal
(1925- )