[AT] hydraulics question

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Mon Jan 10 05:32:05 PST 2005

	My thanks to Mike, Cecil, Ralph and Dudley on their answers to
this question. As to the other answer, it was about what I expected. We
all know a properly working loader will stay up for days without sagging
and anyone who says otherwise is smoking something he shouldn't.

	I was quite concerned that I would get these heavy cylinders off
the tractor and get them down to the repair shop and they would tell me
that leather cups are no longer available. Now I won't worry about them
being as it seems they are still available. We have a very good full time
hydraulic shop in Patterson, NJ - American Hose and Hydraulics - that has
a large well equipped shop and quick turn around time. They mostly seem
to do construction equipment and garbage trucks but hydraulics being what
they are, they can handle mine just fine. I'll pull the two main lift
cylinders for the bucket first and take them down. When I get them back
and re-installed, I'll soon know for sure where the problem is. As I have
had the control valve too long for any warranty, if it turns out to be
the control valve, I'll order another one. One way or another, I'm going
to have this tractor working right when spring comes as I have a lot of
work for it to do at our new home site.

	Cecil, if they can't get the leather cup packings for those
cylinders, I'll be in touch with you and thanks for the tip.

	I really appreciate the well thought out way you went thru this
hydraulic system, Dudley. Everything you took me thru regarding flow and
problems with it were possibilities I thought could be possible but do
not have enough knowledge to be sure. In particular although I knew the
cylinder could pass oil from one side to the other while sinking, I also
wondered if oil could somehow find a path back thru a defective control
valve. It also occurred to me that one of the lift cylinders could have
been defective for a long time and I wouldn't know it if one was good
enough to handle the load. Geez, Dudley, it took me a full year of my
time to come up with these possibilities and you did it overnight. My
thanks to you. I'll post what I find out after I get this working again.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson