[AT] hydraulics question

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 20:13:29 PST 2005

In a message dated 1/9/2005 9:38:09 PM Central Standard Time,
cmonson at hvc.rr.com writes:

Shouldn't a new control valve with center neutral on the levers
hold  a load on the cylinders without sagging?  Maybe all my cylinders
have  blown gaskets and are leaking. Do you think this could happen to
all of  them at once from the water? There are four fairly large cylinders
on this  loader - two for the lift and two for the bucket.

Any  comments from anyone who works on his own hydraulics would
be  appreciated.

Cecil

Cecil
The "leathers" are probably chevron V packings.  If these cylinders  are
double acting, the oil is leaking past the packings and just filing up the  rod
end.  Since there is room for the oil on the rod end of the cylinder,  you don't
notice any going back to the sump.  We have a company   called Sealco here in
OKC that has packings for all sizes of cylinders..   Usually what a dealer
wants $100 for we can get for about $10.  I started  replacing cylinder packings
in loaders back in 1967 when I worked in the MF  dealership....   If you have
a big workbench and a large well mounted  vice, and an impact wrench, it is
not a bad job.....

Cecil in OKla