[AT] Charity auction

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Jan 9 14:26:38 PST 2005

I am using Al's note, but replies are directed to all, not just Al......

>The suggestion was made on the list to everyone.  If
>everyone's opinion didn't matter, it should have been emailed only to

I addressed this concern in Thursday's note.   Here is what I said trying
to head off that exact argument:

...snip...
> In the past, with just a few
> exceptions, only people that participated posted opinions.  Call me
> naive but I thought that would occur again this year.

I didn't realize how few people participated (I knew the number of
donations was down, I didn't realize the number of bidders was down) when I
posted the suggestion for the tsunami's victims.   Mainly because I don't
make a habit of perusing the bids on item's I am not bidding on, just the
summary screen.   At least not until the end of the auctions.   I figured
participation was close to last year's bidding when I posted the tsunami's
victim's post.

For the money and hours I spend on ATIS to provide a free service, I think
I make very few demands on everyone.   I don't bombard you with ads and the
few I do are provided free to businesses that have supported ATIS mailing
lists with helpful informative posts. I don't even what "Thank You"s.
About the only two regular demands I make are:

1 - I want folks to watch their language and subjects when they post
2 - Earmark a very small percentage of your yearly charitable giving for
ATIS's auctions.

I feel certain these are real easy, real simple and not too much to ask.  I
have to believe anyone that thinks these are burdensome demands has an
ulterior motive and probably needs to go elsewhere.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net