[AT] Coil test?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Jan 9 14:43:16 PST 2005

Gene:

I understand your view on this. However, saying I WOULD bet the farm doesn't
mean I have!  :-) My logic in regards to the carburetor adjustments that
don't have any effect is that if the carburetor is starved for fuel the
adjustments won't have any effect. The other piece of data is that with the
choke almost closed the tractor isn't smoking or fouling the plugs. If there
was enough gas getting to the carburetor, the almost closed choke would show
some visible signs other than just keeping the tractor running. In my mind
there are just too many symptoms that point to the fuel system rather than
the ignition system.

If the spark was deteriorating I would think choking the engine would make
it worse as less of the total fuel available would be getting burned due to
poor spark. I do agree however, that if a known good coil is available for
testing it is fairly easy to replace but where I live, new ones are not
cheap.

I'm still very confident that the primary problem is in the fuel system and
not the ignition system. Especially since it is so cold where Ralph is. It
is hard for me to imagine that something in the ignition is getting so warm
as to cause problems. Unless the points are set right on the edge of not
closing or not opening. Maybe my bias is that I have experienced so few coil
problems and so many fuel problems.

Ralph might want to do a hand check on the Coil to see if it is too hot to
touch when the tractor is acting up. That would tell me that a 6v coil is
being used in a 12V system w/o a dropping resistor and is being over
stressed. Then I would lean toward a coil or points failure.

Isn't it fun being a remote quarterback? Shall we have a lottery as to what
the real problem is?  :-) The real problem is that it isn't a horizontal two
cylinder tractor. :-)

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door