[AT] Floats ( 40)

OldIron oldiron at charter.net
Sat Jan 8 18:13:56 PST 2005

Charlie and all,

When fixing a copper float on a carburetor or a 6" float from a float cage steam vessel.
You need to drill a very small pin hole away from your repair in the copper. When you
solder the half's together or repair a leak. The pressure inside during the heating
process pushes the air out. As it cools down the float will collapse. When the repair is
completed and the solder looks quite smooth and when the float at room temperature clean
the pin hold and solder this quickly, so you don't build up pressure inside again.

Check it in some water to see if it floats and how far it sinks. Too much solder will make
it heavy also.

Myron Busch
Northfield MN.