[AT] Re: JD A

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 8 14:26:58 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: Dean VP <deanvp at att.net>
To: 'Antique tractor email discussion group' <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 11:07 PM
Subject: RE: [AT] Re: JD A

> The way the JD kits were configured, the bottom radiator tank casting had
> be changed plus some other parts. I think for what Walt is going to be
doing
> with the A and since we are in typically cooler weather here on the N West
> Coast, I think adding a Water Pump would be more trouble than it is worth.

I had a look at my AR this morning and sure enough, that water pump is
attached right to the bottom rad tank. I don't know if my Uncle had updated
this tractor at some time but I have seen a spare (junked) radiator for it
laying in the old iron pile. According to the operators manual this tractor
was not originally equipped with a water pump (or thermostat). The manual
states that the thermo-siphon system was plenty adequate and required
neither pump nor thermostat. Just use the radiator shutters to maintain the
operating temperature. Interestingly they recommend an operating temp of 190
degrees for the "all fuel tractor" which I believe is what we used to call
distillate fuel.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/