[AT] Re: JD A

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sat Jan 8 09:02:50 PST 2005

Farmer:

I suspect a good clean copper cored radiator is going to be adequate for
Walt's typical usage. I don't recall heating problems existing on the A's,
even with over sized pistons,  until JD went to the steel cored radiators
during the Korean War. In fact, here in the NW, we have trouble getting our
tractors warm enough even in the summer. However, Walt is probably going to
pull this tractor in Brooks Oregon and it does get hot there. The two
weekend show is held the last weekend in July and the first weekend in
August. 90 plus degree weather during the show is normal. Too damned hot for
us guys used to 70 degree summer days. But it's a dry heat!  :-)

Most of the pulling tractors out here in the NW aren't super modified for
pulling. They are supposed to be "Stock" wink, wink, but since the rules are
fairly tight most of the modifications are fairly well hidden. In our area
very few of the tractors run out of HP on the track. Most run out of
traction. But the right tire size, cut tires, too high & too short hitches,
too high RPM's and suitcase weights are prevalent. Some of the high RPM
tractors scare the #$%^& out of me. I sure don't want to be around them when
they come apart or a flywheel comes undone. When the whine from an Oliver
Super 99, 2 cycle Detroit Diesel is so intense it is painful or a two
cylinder JD B sounds like a 4 cylinder engine things are a bit out of
control.

Different strokes for different folks!

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290