[AT] Snowblowing with the 40

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Jan 7 21:38:01 PST 2005

Welll, I thought I had it beat. I installed the new points in the Cockshutt
40 yesterday when the temp shot up to +10. I took advantage of the few
minutes of sunshine we had this morning and tried it out on the snowblower.
For about 5 minutes it ran perfect as the mckee 6 foot blower chewed its way
through the snowdrifts on the driveway.
Suddenly the same old problem came back just as bad as ever. Under any kind
of a load situation the engine just died out unless I kept my hand on the
choke and held it about 7/8 closed. Full choke tended to cut the rpm too
much but half choke was not enough to keep it running.
Awkward to say the least when you are already twisted around watching the
snowblower and trying not to drive off the road into the ditch which is now
hidden under a continuous layer of white.
Turning the carburetor needles had no effect at all. When I finally parked
it I tested the fuel flow from the carburetor drain and am now a bit
suspicious that the fuel flow is restricted right in the carb. Fuel did not
seem to run through the carb as fast I would have expected.  Maybe a sticky
float or a foreign object partially blocking the fuel inlet.
Its strange that even operating under load with the choke on I never saw any
sign of running rich or black smoke like you would normally expect with that
much choke. Carb icing is not likely as that too will produce black smoke.
This ones a real mystery but I haven't finished with it yet. Might just open
up the carburetor tomorrow to see whats going on in there.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/