[AT] John Deere A

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu Jan 6 23:09:20 PST 2005

Walt:

Water pumps were added to the late Model B's and I would guess - just a
guess - that they were added to the late A's as well.  I don't know whether
or not your' A has a pump but, if it does, I can't believe overheating would
result due to adding bigger pistons.

I have a 52 B - which does not have a water pump - and a pair of 0.125
oversize pistons, which I want to install in it.  Like you, I am hoping that
this will not cause any serious over heating problems.  Maybe we can both
take comfort in what John has said below; i.e., that boring out 0.125 should
not cause any over heating problem.

I know that taking the block out of a 52 B is as much tricky as it is hard
and I imagine the A is similar. After unbolting the B block from the rear
frame and pulling it slightly forward it had to be rotated clockwise/counter
clockwise when viewed from the front of the tractor - the cylinders, instead
of being side by side, wind up being over and under.  Next, the block had to
be rotated clockwise/counter clockwise when viewed from the side of the
tractor - the cylinders now wind up being in a fore and aft vertical
position.  Finally, the block had to be pulled forward to where the frame
rails narrow and then rotated over a frame rail with the water pipe
connecting surface being on top.

I may not have remembered the removal sequence correctly.  But the important
point here is simply follow John's suggestion and get a Model A Service
Manual ... the John Deere service manuals are excellent IMHO.

Dudley
Snohomish, Washington