[AT] stiff tractor day

dfolske at nccray.net dfolske at nccray.net
Thu Jan 6 09:55:40 PST 2005

Mike,

At 20F I would think that the fresh hydraulic oil should take care of
most of your problems. Did you flush the system or just drain it
when you changed oil. Most systems do not drain completely so
you may still have a little water in it.  Most of the mechanics around
here will refill very dirty systems with diesel fuel and run them a
minute or two and then drain them again to help flush out old
residue and water.

At -20F even the cleanest system doesn't work very well.  At -20F
or colder you have to keep working the steering and remote
cylinders to keep warm oil in them.  If you park the tractor a few
minutes to do some shoveling of move cattle to a different pen the
oil in the lines and remote cylinders cool so fast that everything is
stiff again when you get back in to use it.

I've also heard guys say that wind chill doesn't matter to machinery
but that tractor sitting exposed to a 20 mph wind cools down much
quicker than one which is sheltered or on a still day.  It doesn't get
any colder but it sure gets there faster!