[Farmall] F-12 Paint Color

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 13:33:07 PST 2005

Bob has explained the time line a paint codes pretty
well.  I think that you should look on your tractor to
see what color it was originally.  No matter how rusty
it is there will still be some paint on it somewhere.
I good place to look is under greasy spots.  The
grease tends to preserve the paint under it.  Scrape
through the paint to see if it was repainted at some
point.  My 1935 F-20 is red and always has been.  I
restored it myself and found no traces of gray paint.
I know that according to the time line it should be
gray.  Given that I found no gray I painted it red.  I
have explaine the red color to several observant
collectors and have actually found the color makes it
a bit of a conversation piece.  Bottom line..... its
your tractor and you should paint however you want.
BTW I wouldn't have had any problem painting the
tractor gray.  I think that the old dark gray color
looks pretty good on F series tractors.

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN