[AT] carburetors On topic (kind of)

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Tue Jan 4 07:30:44 PST 2005

Andy:
I have 3 of those old caddys aroundhere.  they have not been moved for  over
10 years, but that 472 is a great engine.  I rebuilt one for a friend  in
about 1992.

You might be able to find a 700R4 transmission for it.  It would give  you an
overdrive in high and also give you an extra low first gear.  They  were
developed for high speed rear ends and slowing down the engine rpm.   As I
remember the 700R4 had a 27% overdrive.  I have thought many times  about installing
one of them in one of my old trucks, but never had the time to  try something
new...

You could also convert it to a standard by getting a standard bell housing
off an OLDS 442, they had  the same block and used a 4 speed  transmission..
the expert on caddys around here is Bruce at AABARS  salvage.  He has worked
with them over 50 years.....

Cecil in OK