[AT] John Deere A

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Mon Jan 3 20:14:36 PST 2005

Walt:

Horizontal 2 Cylinder JD's don't have sleeves unless they are aftermarket.
Typical boring steps on a JD are 0.045, 0.090, 0.125. You also can bore out
and put in sleeves back to whatever sized piston you want to use. Depending
on how good the pistons are it might be cheaper to try to use them again.
Boring and sleeves can also get expensive too. You can compare your
potential costs to what you would have to pay at Valu-Bilt

www.valu-bilt.com

I would suggest you not make any quick decisions on the block until you get
the pistons out.  Sometimes you can disconnect the rods from the crank to
help allow the pistons to move under applied pressure. (BFH):-).  However, a
little torque on the flywheel might pop the pistons loose before you
disconnect the rods. Worse case you can take the block with stuck pistons
out of the frame where it is then easier to work on. Depending on the
condition of the cylinder walls it might be better to pull the pistons out
the back. Might be less damage to the ring lands that way.

Gasket sets can be purchased directly from Deere or aftermarket. I tend to
stick with Deere's gaskets.

An overhaul Gasket set AA4284R (Sub to RE524328) from your local JD Deere
Dealer is $95.00.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door