WAS RE: [AT] Spencer, NOW: Tractor Wrenching

Easley, Greg EasleyG at health.missouri.edu
Mon Jan 3 14:02:52 PST 2005

I've got one of mine strung all over the shop right now.

The VAC started making a nasty transmission noise over the
summer so I decided to open it up and replace the bearings,
seals, and whatever else in there that needed replacing.

The back end of the front half is sitting on a stack of cribbing.
I built a simple set of support stands that fit into the cultivator
mounts at the front to keep it from tipping over.  The transmission
is sitting on another stack of cribbing, and the rear end has been
seperated from the tranny.  The bearings and seals were, with the
exception of one seal, available at the local NAPA store.  I'm
going to pick those up tomorrow and stop by the Case/IH store to
order the other seal and all of the gaskets.  Don Livingston has
linings available for the disk brakes, and those should be here in
a day or two.  Might as well go ahead and replace the bearings and
seals on the rear axle while it's apart.

I took the cylinder head to my favorite machinist a couple weeks
back for a bit of performance modification.  Deck shaved, valve
bowls opened up and larger valves installed.  I did a mild port
job on it a few years ago and will do a bit more when I get it back.
I also need to replace the governor shaft bearing and am planning
to advance the camshaft one tooth while the timing cover is off.

Hopefully I'll see a nice increase on the dyno when it's all back
together.  It pulled 31hp in the current configuration.

Anybody else in the midst of a major rebuild?

Greg
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/woods/1416