[AT] OT - Pickup Trans Question - Resolution sort of

Rob Gray Robgray at epix.net
Mon Jan 3 12:28:32 PST 2005

As a follow up, I got the truck back from Aamco. They fixed the
speedometer problem after getting some parts from the Ford dealership.
They told me that the transmission still did not shift completely right
and asked me to authorizes $1,299 additional for them to drop the trans
and inspect it. If they found any more problems, parts and additional
labor would add to the $1,299. I said no and got the truck back (total
bill $300). It now shifts like it used to before the speedometer issue.
In their defense they never drove it when it shifted like it always
does, and it is fine for me altough it is a little sluggish in one gear.

Unfortunately, I have encountered another problem with the vehicle since
I got it back from them and was curious if anyone here thinks it could
be related to a mistake made by Aamco. When I picked it up at Aamco they
drove it around so it was already running when I drove off. I brought it
home and it sat for several days. When I tried starting it again, it did
not want to turn over right and the problem seemed to be in the
ignition. I got it started a few times with a little difficulty in the
ignition switch each time, but today trying to start it only for the 4th
time since I got it back,  it won't start. Below are the symptoms:

1) The key is put into the ignition, and when the key is turned to a
certain point as usual the check engine light and other dashboard lights
come on - OK so far
2) Usually as with most vehicles a futher turning of the key is required
to start the truck, but the problem is the key won't turn any further in
the ignition
3) I also noticed that when the key is turned to the point that the dash
lights come on, I can't change the transmission out of park on the
steering column. Unless I'm mistaken, usually the gears can be shifted
when the key is turned to this position and the steering wheel lock is
turned off.....

This almost seems like a problem in my ignition switch, but it is weird
that the problem occured right after the truck being in their shop. Any
ideas or suggestions as to what is wrong?