[AJD] JD LA Clutch help

JDNut at aol.com JDNut at aol.com
Sun Jan 2 07:27:58 PST 2005

Happy New Year,

While I have generally been prejudiced towards the Waterloo horizontal engine
tractors of the "B" to 530 lineage, a cute ca. 1944 John Deere LA in great
shape became available, and my family couldn't resist.  I got to play with it
some while at my parents place in Oregon over the holiday break.

Luckily, I have an original of the JD Parts CD, so I have a parts manual, and
I ordered the owners manual.  As far as I can tell, Deere doesn't have a
service manual for this tractor??? The previous owner gave us the Jensales manual.

Key problem I would appreciate some help from the list.....the clutch didn't
always want to disengage the drive shaft, even when pushing hard.  Once
disengaged, it doesn't engage until close to the other end of the travel.  I tried
to adjust it according the to specs indicated in the owners manual, but not
much improvement.   It was cold in our area of Oregon, below freezing most of the
time.  I wonder a bit if the grease was just really cold in the throw out
bearing...or if this is a sign that the clutch discs need to be replaced.  Any
ideas or help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Other than the the clutch problem, the only other things needing a bit of
work is the left axle seal, and the governor hunts a bit a full throttle.  Sure
is a gutsy little tractor.

Thanks in advance, Take care,

John Maxwell, Santa Maria CA