[AT] OT: Carbruators

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 1 20:51:58 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <DAVIESW739 at aol.com>
To: <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 01, 2005 9:26 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] OT: Carbruators

> I guess I'm the only dodge fan around here, but  then I got the trophies
on
> the shelf to prove it.
>
> Walt Davies
> Cooper  Hollow Farm
> Monmouth, OR 97361
> 503 623-0460

Walt, I have great respect for the Dodge and Chrysler vehicles in my past.
One of the first vehicles I learned to drive was a neighbour's 52 Dodge
pickup with the flathead six. I thought that was just the greatest old truck
even though it had seen hard use on the farm. The doors were extremely hard
to shut, rear fenders were cracked and waved in the wind and the shift
linkage had some strange malady that required special handling.
In later years my Dad bought  a used 74 Monaco sedan with the 360 V8 which
had to be one of the most impressive engines I have known. For the size and
weight of the car it was very lively and responsive. Gas mileage was
surprisingly good  even cruising at 60 with the AC running and a full load
of passengers. Somewhere in the 20 mpg range as I recall.
The transmission oil in the (torqueflite?) was black as tar and smelled
terrible but performed flawlessly right to the end.  Even after the car was
totaled in a highway accident it was still driveable and I think finally
ended its days in a local demolition derby.

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/