[AT] Happy New Year

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jan 1 19:32:00 PST 2005

Walt, these Cockshutts are distributor ignition and the 40 still has the
original six volt system. For some reason points always lasted a long long
time in this tractor. Yet the Cockshutt 50 with the identical setup used to
eat up points in fairly frequent intervals and it also seemed to accumulate
moisture much worse in the dist cap.
 I don't want to take the carb on the 40 apart just yet as it would likely
need to have a gasket set and I don't even know where I'd start to look for
one of those.
I do have a brand new set of points for it though and I think that will be
the next idea to try. The old ones certainly don't owe me anything if they
have been in there since 92. And this tractor sees fairly regular use all
year round. Not heavy work but just enough to keep the gas fresh in the
tank.
Snowed and blew here again today so theres plenty more work for the blower
when I get to it. Changing those ignition points at -10 below in the
un-heated steel quonset  is going to be fun though. My space heater is in
the other shed and I'd have to drag it about a hundred yards through knee
deep (or more) snow. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/