[AT] Battery cables...was MF202 ground

HaliganBar at aol.com HaliganBar at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 17:00:50 PST 2005

Thanks to all the list members that offered suggestions for relocating the
ground on my MF202. What started this issue was problems starting after our
first real snow fall of the winter and temps of 6 degrees.

Today I took advantage of the typical New England winter weather...46 degrees
and partly sunny (over the years I've learned that ANY weather the occurs
during the winter months in New England is typical) to change my battery cables.
I was very surprised to discover that the proper connection point for the
ground IS on the back of the instrument panel...complete with a threaded brass
attachment point for the bolt. I started by removing the battery cables and
cleaning up the connection points at the solenoid, starter, and ground lug. The old
cables looked kinda ratty especially the positive cable. I had picked up a
couple of new 1 gauge cables but, hadn't planned on replacing the original cable
between the solenoid and the starter. So, I cut the long cable and attached
my only spare lug to it. I then added some heavy duty heat shrink to all the
cable ends to keep any moisture out. A dab of silicone grease to all the
connections and I reattached everything. I used the old ground cable but, just until
I can get a new lug for the end of the cable I cut. Everything worked great
and the tractor started right up...of course the real test will be the next time
the temps drop into the single digits.

All in all a nice, stress relieving, tractor day....a great way to start 2005!

Karl