[AT] Belt driven pump

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Sun Feb 13 20:10:32 PST 2005

You are not kidding that type of water pressure and volume creates a lot
of force.  We had a standing rule on our farm; no one was allowed to
stand on the discharge side of the pump while it was running. This was
fear of a pipe coming apart.  We ran 2000 gpm pumps at 150 psi and a 6"
discharge.  That is lethal.

We had a big solid set gun, depending on how it was nozzled, it could
have a diameter of 700' or 800', I don't remember exactly anymore.  It
had a trip mechanism on it, if you just wanted it to cover a certain
area, like a lawn sprinkler.  You had better be clear of the gun when it
swung back in the return mode, it probably could kill you if it hit you
right.  I was working on the gun one day making adjustments.  A buddy of
mine was with me, and he wasn't thinking.  His curiosity got the best of
him.  With his hand he tripped the return mechanism, not knowing what it
was.  I happened to see what just happened.  I hit the ground, so I
didn't get hit.  I crawled clear.  My buddy had tried to grab the gun
with both arms.  He was hanging on for dear life, it literally had his
feet trailing in the air behind him.  I was going to run and shut down
the pump. By the time I got on the tractor, the gun somehow unscrewed
itself from the mounting flange.  We were both alright, a little wet and
muddy, but ok.  It was a close call.  I told him never to touch that
lever again.  I must say that also happened when we were young and
bulletproof-lol.  I am glad that we can look back and laugh now.

Lou