[Steam-engine] Reworking Governor

Ken Hough k4sb at niia.net
Mon Feb 28 17:23:53 PST 2005

What's the material the spool is made of. Match it. The expansion rate will be the
same under heat. Another thought, there is always some tolerance between the spool
and the walls. Machine it too close and it may seize up.
Ken

I had a chance to take a good look at the governor on
the Huber this weekend.  What I found didn't surprise
or upset me.  What I observed was normal wear in the
valve itself.  The the seats are slightly out of round
where the spool slid in and out for many years.  The
spokes on the spool are worn also.  My plan is to bore
the seats to true them up and the build up the spool
and turn it to match the seat.  What is the best way
to build up the spool?  I can braze it but I'm
concerned that the brass will not hold up well and I
will have to do the job again in short order.  What do
you think?

=====
Andy Glines
Evansville, IN