[Farmall] High-Flotation M

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Mon Feb 28 04:40:31 PST 2005

The seller never said it had a 500 gallon fuel tank! He said the tires are
500 gallon fuel tanks. I think I remember seeing round fuel cells used by
the military but don't think that they could be mounted on rims and had any
kind of tread on them.  Hauling it home would not be a problem since you
wouldn't need a trailer. Just fill the tires with helium and tie it to the
back bumper. Just watch out for low bridges!

Carl Szabelski

|---------+----------------------------------------->
|         |           Mike Sloane                   |
|         |           <mikesloane at verizon.net>      |
|         |           Sent by:                      |
|         |           farmall-bounces at lists.antique-|
|         |           tractor.com                   |
|         |                                         |
|         |                                         |
|         |           02/28/2005 06:04 AM           |
|         |           Please respond to Farmall/IHC |
|         |           mailing list                  |
|---------+----------------------------------------->
  |       cc:                                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Farmall] High-Flotation M                                                                |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Here in the "muck" or "black dirt" farms in northwestern NJ, similar
modern tractors are common, but they don't put nearly as large tires on
the front. The "muck" is actually glacial lake bed, and the soil is
mostly decomposed vegetation - extremely soft (and slippery) when even a
little bit damp (also common in the Middletown NY area). Formerly used
for growing onions and celery, they are now mostly converted to sod,
specialty ethnic vegetables, and ornamentals. I have an image somewhere
of a relatively new New Holland tractor we had in for service at our
dealership, if anyone is interested. The rears were specially made, but
the fronts were Micky Thompson "drag slick" tires. In this area,
Cletracs and Allis Chalmers G tractors were used almost exclusively, and
you can still find sheds full of them that the third generation
Ukrainian farmers keep "for emergencies".

As far as the tractor on eBay, I think it probably exceeds 102" wide, so
you might have problems hauling it, and even after you brought it home,
what the heck would you do with it? And I doubt very much that it has a
"500 gallon fuel tank" - more likely a sprayer tank.

Mike

Dean Vinson wrote:
> <http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3876937370>
>
> What in the foggy blue morning?
>
> Dean Vinson  --  Dayton Ohio
> <http://my.voyager.net/~vinsond/>

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

If it is committed in the name of God or country, there is no crime so
heinous that the public will not forgive it. -Tom Robbins, writer (1936-)