[AT] D2 Stuck Steering Clutches

JParks jkparks at flash.net
Fri Feb 25 18:04:27 PST 2005

Rich

I can't think of a worse job than going after the steering clutches and
brake bands on a D2.  You will want to do the bands while you are there
unless you enjoy labor and like wrench pulling for therapy.   The blade
comes off, the track comes off, the track frames come off, fenders and seat
come off, (fuel tank is a given whether side mount tank or seat tank.)

Now you get to pull the final drives.  They must come off perfectly even and
square so as not to hang up on the clutch discs inside the brake drum.  If
the clutches are in v-e-r-y bad shape it can be pretty spendy.

I ALWAYS recommend that the discs be upgraded to the later style bimetallic
driving discs and throw away all the old style discs with the riveted on
linings.  You will need to increase the number of discs per side (12
bimetallic discs and 12 steel discs instead of the 8-and-8).

If you have to replace every single disc in each clutch pack (you can
sometimes save the steel discs) count on spending 450 and up per clutch just
for the discs.........unless you buy from Ma Cat and you can then triple the
cost or more.  Save every single spring and retainer that you can......all
are discontinued from Cat.  If you need inner driving drums, shop around and
take it slow..........they are 275 and up (used).  Brake drums are the same
cost, used.  As an aside, if you or your neighbor have an old Wabco grader
stashed away on the backside of the barn, the graders with the Power-Flo
transmission have steel discs in the transmission clutch pack that will work
for your steel discs.  The bimetallic discs from these clutches will NOT
work in your steering clutch however, just the steel discs.  ( But I'll buy
the bimetallic discs from you though or trade you for the new bimetallic D2
discs!)

All this work, labor, cost should not deter your friend though.  When "up to
snuff" the Li'l D2 is a nice machine to play around with and a great unit to
have as a small utility crawler.  Check out the undercarriage closely
though.  Rollers can be spendy and hard to find, as are the tracks.  If you
have more questions feel free to contact me either on or off list.  If you
need help in measuring undercarriage, I can give you the spec's.

John Parks
Boise, ID