[Farmall] Farmall M LP

Arthur Umland artsd at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 12:36:54 PST 2005

Your post and concerns about LP gas jogged my memory.  I was a teenager
working on a farm in southwest NE (near Venago in case anyone knows
that area) where large wheat fields dominated the countryside. A MM
tractor with LP gas was used on the farm. I was standing next to the MM
watching as the son of the owner filled the tractor from a several
hundred gallon LP storage tank. When filling the tank, one also had to
open a port on the tractor tank that released some pressure and
produced a small whisp of gas. Apparently this whisp of gas ignited
from a static electricity discharge (no other viable option was ever
given to me). The small gas vent produced a strong flame which then
burned through the hose leading from the supply tank. The tractor tire
caught on fire and eventually much of the tractor burned up. Volunteer
fire fighters were quite concerned as the heat from the burning tractor
caused the pressure safety relief valve on the supply tank to vent at
times. Had the main tank ever exploded there would have been
substantial damage and a few less people around on that day.

      Regards,
                           Art