[Farmall] Hard starting F12

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Wed Feb 23 09:03:40 PST 2005

That's the magneto advance/retard lever, Kevin.  It will shut off the engine
when turned fully left, if the magneto is set up correctly.  Turning it to
the left retards the magneto.  Full left shorts out the magneto primary
circuit.  Once the engine has started, advancing the magneto will prduce
considerably more power.

Looking at the magneto itself, raising the lever on the points cover retards
or shuts off the spark.  Down on the lever advances the spark.

I'm not convinced that running well once started proves that the fuel pump
is good.  I have a hard-starting F-12, and I suspect that its problem may be
a weak fuel pump.  It doesn't pump much when I'm hand cranking the engine,
but provides plenty of fuel once the engine is running.

At any rate, when diagnosing a starting problem, I think that you need to be
suspicious of every part of the system, and check things out systematically.

-Karl