[AJD] Which would you choose?

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Feb 20 15:27:19 PST 2005

Tom:

Both are good tractors but I find it very unusual to have that combination
equally priced. From my perspective the 60 must be in unusually good
condition and the 720D must be in unusually poor condition. Maybe if I knew
what the asking price was for each I could be a bit more definitive.

I own two 60's, a 1953 and a 1954, both tricycle front ends with
Roll-O-Matic. Both considered to be "Plain Jane's" from a collectors point
of view. However, one is probably my favorite tractor primarily because it
is a low-hour tractor. And also I spent my teenage years on the seat of a
gas 70.

However, a 720D is one of those tractors I would like to own. The 20 series
tractors have many improvements over the first numbered series (50, 60, 70)
that may be of value to you. I do own a 520 and 620 but someday would like a
720D to go with them. So because of this I am biased toward the 720D for
several reasons.

You have mentioned a Wide Front End on the 720. If it is a square one and in
good condition it is worth by itself, somewhere around $1200. You didn't
mention whether the 720D had a conventional three point hitch on it or not.
If it does, that by itself, if in good condition and complete is worth $800
to $1200 if the original top link is included. So it is conceivable there is
$2400 worth of parts on the 720D that is not on the 60.

One can add an aftermarket three point hitch or an 800 Series hitch to the
60 for maybe $600 to $800 but still will not offer the full hydraulic draft
control that is inherent in the 720D hitch. Obviously either a round or
square WFE can be added to the 60. There are many other differences such as
power steering, etc that probably is on the 720D and if it truly is a 1953
60 it won't have power steering.

So it kind of depends on several factors:

1.) Are the extra bells and whistles needed or desired?
2.) Do you need/want the extra HP?
3.) Do you want an immediate show tractor or do you want the pride of taking
a tractor that may need some work and restore it.
4.) Will the initial purchase deplete the disposable funds or is there
additional funds to complete the restoration of the 720?
5.) Do you want to end up with a higher valued tractor that is considered
more of a collector tractor that may have a higher potential of
appreciation? Or limit your investment?
6.) Are you mechanically and financially ready to handle the added
complexities and potential costs of the Diesel and Pony engine?

Now what I try to do, not always successfully, is try to determine what the
costs of ownership are going to be assuming a restoration. Then compare
those costs to what I will end up with in resultant value and pride of
ownership. I started out taking the low initial cost route and gambling on
what the restoration costs might be trying to keep my investment low but
ending up with lower value tractors. As time has moved along I have become a
bit more adventuresome, to pay more up front, to get something that will
have more value later on.  I think these two approaches are something which
you need to consider. Just keep in mind the 60 is relatively inexpensive to
fix and buy parts for as many A parts were used.

The 720 Diesel Engine and Pony engine can be "money pits" if they need a lot
of work and to repair them will probably cost more than what their resale
value will be after the repairs. The key is, what condition are these
engines and tractors really in?  Now on the opposite side of the spectrum
relative to the 60. A paint job and new tires can hide a lot of sins. Is it
really in good shape or does it too need some work that may not be
intuitively obvious? Remember makeup doesn't really make the woman pretty!
I've purchased only one tractor that was supposedly completely restored and
it initially looked it. But it didn't take me long to learn that much work
was needed that hadn't been performed. That caused me to tend to try to buy
low and gamble on the repair expenses because then I knew what I was going
to end up with.

Hope this helps in some way. I'm really curious what the equal asking price
is. To me that alone would be a major contributor in helping decide which
way to go. There are so many things to consider. I've just touched on a very
few here.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door