[Farmall] Hard starting F12

Karl Olmstead olmstead at ridgenet.net
Sat Feb 19 10:30:55 PST 2005

As other knowledgable F-12 fans have noted, the F-12 is not quite as simple
as you'd expect.  And every system has to be performing well in order for
the tractor to hand start.

All you can do is go through them one at a time, systematically.

Carburetor:
Pretty much the same as any other carb, except for one item.  There's an
1/8" tube that runs from the lower portion of the carb up into the upper,
and it has a tiny orifice in its tip.  This tube tends to stick to the upper
part of the carb and get broken off.  I can't recall if Rice has a
replacement or not.

Fuel Pump:
Virtually always needs rebuilding.  Rice can supply a kit.  Critical to the
starting of your tractor, since it is needed to lift the fuel up to the
carb.

Magneto:
The impulse MUST be working, or the engine won't start.  You should hear a
loud click or clank each time you turn the starting crank.  A penetrating
oil will often free up the impulse, but don't use WD-40; it turns gummy over
time.  If the engine revs freely when you bump the throttle up, the timing
is probably set about right.  If the engine seems to 'labor', the timing is
retarded.  The timing called out in the I&T manual is too far retarded for
use with modern gasoline.

Valves:
0.013" gap between rocker arm and valve, same as the gap for the magneto
points.

As Robert mentioned, the F-12 engine starts out with pretty low compression,
and you can't afford to waste any of it through leaky valves or rings.

There's a straight slot screw in the side of the carb which gives access to
the venturi.  On difficult to start F-12s, I squirt Wal Mart $0.79
carburetor cleaner in through that screw hole.  Burns like gasoline, won't
destroy an engine like ether (starting fluid) will.

Good luck!

-Karl