[Farmall] Hard starting F12

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 18 17:23:37 PST 2005

Any of the old Farmalls should crank in 2 to 4 turns of the crank IF
everything is up to snuff.
I would start out by checking the strength of the fire. The mag should be
able to jump a 1/4" spark. Are you getting a nice crisp click from your
impulse? If it is dirty or gummy you'll have a hard time cranking it by
hand. Spray it with penetrating oil. Since this is outside the mag you can't
screw it up by over oiling it. Next check the timing. If you don't have a
service manual I would suggest getting one. I think the one I have covers
most of the older Farmalls. I think mine came from Rice.
  Are you possibly retarding the spark too much when you try to crank it? Of
course if you don't retard it enough, well ouch, those starting cranks sure
are hard!!! (been there done that, got the dischrge slip from the ER to
prove it)

 The 12's are the oddball in that they have a fuel pump and a downdraft
carb. I had to replace the fuel pump push rod on one because it had worn so
short it barely worked the pump. If the ignition is OK I'd start checking
out the fuel system.
 Wouldn't hurt to get a valve cover gasket and check your valve clearances
either.
 From there you just have to consider things such as worn out carbs, lack of
compression, weak valve springs and the most dreaded of all, lots of little
problems snowballing into one big one!!

John Hall