[AT] radiator core replacement

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Thu Feb 17 20:32:41 PST 2005

Ken,

I agree with heating the bolts, but beware!  If the bolt goes into a
blind hole, the heat build up somehow can cause the cast to break out
the bottom of the hole.  If the old core is junk, I take a sawzall and
get it out of my way.  I then drill a small hole through the center of
the bolt, through the entire length of the bolt.  That seems to relieve
the bolt somewhat.  Then heat.  I am speaking from experience.  Once I
started to do that the bolts seem to come out easier and haven't had a
tank crack around the bolt.  If you let the bolt cool enough, you can
also put oil in through the hole.  That also seems to help.  I then run
a tap in all the threaded holes.  Be careful with that also.  I had a
tap break off in a hole of a radiator, with no warning.  It didn't
creak, squeak, or anything, it was turning pretty easy and snap.  That
was a job.  I would heat the tap red hot with a brazing tip on my torch,
then drill on it.  I would have to sharpen my bit every time.  Thank
goodness for Drill Doctor.  It took me about 45 minutes to get the
broken tap out, but I got it out and then helicoiled the hole.  Good as
new.

Lou