[AT] radiator core replacement

Robert McBride mcbride6 at netrover.com
Thu Feb 17 13:33:45 PST 2005

I replaced the core on a MM ZA and a D Case a few years ago. Just soak
the bolts good with your favourite penetrating oil. If the bolts still
refuse to move just heat the head of the bolt red hot and let it cool
before trying to turn it out. I took the old rotten cores to the
radiator shop and had him do a proper measure and order the new cores.
New cores are not cheap by any means but in my opinion they are worth
the effort.
I made up my own gaskets and then used silicone on both sides of the
gasket. The rad shop said to use a thicker gasket as opposed to the real
thin stuff. Said it might squeeze down a little better. Never had a
problem with leaks, the biggest problem is the weight of those rads with
the cast top and bottom.

Robert McBride, retired on the ice bound Rideau