[AJD] 630 hi-clearance

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Thu Feb 17 16:30:52 PST 2005

Kreig:

I own a couple High Clearance Tractors (I think) so I can speak about them
with some experience. Never have owned a High Crop version so anything I say
about them is book learned.

Typically a High Clearance 630 or others as well will have the following
attributes:

1.) 42" rear tires/rims
2.) 42" Rear wheel Cast centers which are dished to allow a wider/narrower
setting.
3.) Extra Long rear axles
4.) Extra long and heavier rear axle housing
5.) 16" single front Wheel

All of these components have a separate part number in the Parts catalog for
the 630. However, most of the data unique to the 620/630 was not recorded at
the JD factory, when made, so an archive search may only yield whether the
tractor was a Row Crop and whether it had Power Steering or not. At least
that is all got on my 620 which is mostly a High clearance tractor. My 620
has all the attributes of a High clearance except it has a wide front end. I
have been led to believe that a tractor with a WFE technically doesn't
qualify for high clearance status unless it has the longer front spindles.
My understanding is these are about 2" longer. As of this date I don't know
which ones I have on mine.

My 1951 A fits all of the above 5 attributes and my 1958 520 does as well
but with two very notable exceptions so it probably can't be classified as a
High Clearance tractor. It has the 3, 4 & 5 items but has 36" rear
wheels/rims and 36" dished cast centers. Interestingly I have noticed that
there really isn't that much difference in height due to the profile of the
36" tires.

Most of these tractor configurations are direct descendants of the old AN,
BN, AW and BW designations which are too complex and lengthy to go into
here.

Now on a High Crop tractor the wide front end will have much taller front
spindles and usually the rear axle drive arrangement is designed to set the
tractor up much higher in the air. A very noticeable difference. Much more
so than the difference between a High Clearance and regular tractor.

The 520 High Clearance tractor was the featured at the National Two Cylinder
Expo a few years ago. Two Cylinder Magazine did some extrapolation of the
older BN manufacturing numbers and suggested there may have been 40 or so
actual 520 High Clearance versions ever manufactured. No JD records exist to
prove or disprove that number and at the time created a bit of a stir in the
market.

There is a lot to discuss here but I'll cut this off here and maybe others
will go into much more depth on the High Crops or the earlier A, B & G
versions.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

storeroom door