[Steam-engine] gov/throttle gaskets

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 16 13:33:26 PST 2005

--- Ken Majeski <fuller_johnson1 at msn.com> wrote:

> [quote] As I remember from Pawnee steam school the
> governor is never
> supposed to have a gasket between the top half and
> the valve body. [/quote]
>
> Gosh....???? I always have used a Gasket between the
> top half and the valve
> body.... Have I been doing this wrong all these
> years....???? And my
> Governors have always worked Good too...???? Were
> they talking about the
> type where the top is held on by a set screw...????
I don't know about being "wrong".  The chief example
was the Pickering governors but the instructor, Joe
Graziana, thought this to be the case with nearly all
governors.  Governors were not originally equipped
with gaskets and therefore probably shouldn't have
them now.  Putting in a gasket will change the
position of the valve because the gasket acts as a
spacer between the top and bottom halves.  My Huber
governor had one and Joe was pretty sure that it
wasn't original.  I know that my gov can be adjusted
to compensate for the gasket thickness.

> Well.... the plug valve throttles are harder to fix
> than the Gate type. With
> the gate type you can clean up the seats and discs
> and build them up to
> space them a little wider. I believe about all you
> can do with the plug
> valve type is bore out the body a little larger and
> build up or make a new
> plug valve and machine to fit. If you don't have a
> Good Lathe and a Mill
> this can get to be expensive. I have known some
> owners to fix them but they
> were Machinests by trade... About the smartest
> decision I ever made when I
> put my little Case together was to replace the Worn
> out throttle with a Ball
> Valve....
>
> I have seen on some engines they have fed the
> cylinder oil in after the
> throttle.... And you geussed it.... The throttle
> valves on these are always
> worn out....
The oil is fed before the throttle on mine but it is
100 years old and understandably has some wear.  Your
description of the repair is what I had in mind.

> When I take pieces the the foundry I always fill any
> bolt holes as there
> will be some shrinkage and I drill the holes in the
> new piece to fit. Any
> worn spots can be built up with Putty or bondo so
> you have something to
> machine.  Any rough spots / voids that will prevent
> the pattern to be
> withdrawn from the sand should be filled. There
> should be some Draft from
> the parting line so they can get it out of the sand.

Thanks for the tips, should I worry about shrinkage
much?

> Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine,
> Minneapolis Steam Engine,
> Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R. Website,
> Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/

=====