[Steam-engine] Baker literature, etc...

Richard Backus rbackus at ogdenpubs.com
Wed Feb 16 10:18:08 PST 2005

I¹ve recently been in contact with a fellow who  has happened upon what
appears to be a fairly impressive cache of old A.D. Baker literature, and a
very few parts. I believe he has a complete smokebox door and ring,
apparently new, never used. He also found what is called a Grain Register
made by Nesmith¹s. The device and the company are unknown to me. It¹s
complete, with original directions. Included in the literature are letters
from Baker¹s general sales manager, factory photos of threshers, a few
factory photos of steamers, some original color brochures featuring various
Baker offerings, including gas tractors, threshers, silage cutters, etc...

He is planning on selling the above items, but his motivation is
preservation, something that impresses me. He sent me a few pieces (I had
asked about the possibility of a few photocopies), which he wants me to
keep. He¹s particularly interested in finding anyone who knows anything
about the Grain Register, as he¹d like to find it a good home if it¹s a rare
piece. A good home would be a museum or such. He¹s not interested in money,
if it is something unique. I can supply a PDF of the piece to anyone
interested, including a PDF of the original operating instructions. It¹s
quite interesting.

Also, another fellow I¹ve been in contact with has a 100 HP gas-fired
boiler, operational, that his club would like to give to a club in need.
Contact me if any of this is of interest.
--
Richard S. Backus
Editor-in-Chief/Farm Collectibles