[Steam-engine] gov/throttle gaskets

Ken Majeski fuller_johnson1 at msn.com
Tue Feb 15 19:19:20 PST 2005

[quote] As I remember from Pawnee steam school the governor is never
supposed to have a gasket between the top half and the valve body. [/quote]

Gosh....???? I always have used a Gasket between the top half and the valve
body.... Have I been doing this wrong all these years....???? And my
Governors have always worked Good too...???? Were they talking about the
type where the top is held on by a set screw...????

Well.... the plug valve throttles are harder to fix than the Gate type. With
the gate type you can clean up the seats and discs and build them up to
space them a little wider. I believe about all you can do with the plug
valve type is bore out the body a little larger and build up or make a new
plug valve and machine to fit. If you don't have a Good Lathe and a Mill
this can get to be expensive. I have known some owners to fix them but they
were Machinests by trade... About the smartest decision I ever made when I
put my little Case together was to replace the Worn out throttle with a Ball
Valve....

I have seen on some engines they have fed the cylinder oil in after the
throttle.... And you geussed it.... The throttle valves on these are always
worn out....

When I take pieces the the foundry I always fill any bolt holes as there
will be some shrinkage and I drill the holes in the new piece to fit. Any
worn spots can be built up with Putty or bondo so you have something to
machine.  Any rough spots / voids that will prevent the pattern to be
withdrawn from the sand should be filled. There should be some Draft from
the parting line so they can get it out of the sand.

Ken Majeski, Ellsworth Wis. Case Steam Engine, Minneapolis Steam Engine,
Rumely Oilpulls H, F, & R. Website, Http://www.pressenter.com/~kmajeski/