[AT] KY farm show

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Tue Feb 15 12:55:55 PST 2005

Spencer, I see two things that are really important in this thread. First,
that whether it is California, Indiana or North Carolina we are losing
farms, farmland and rural economies thanks to Government and Business
policies favoring Big business and importers. This is not a diatribe or
political statement, but one validated by research across the political map.
Second, that lots of different things being grown and produced is good for
our country and ultimately for the stability of the world. Relatively
speaking (not in absolute terms), the more self sufficient any democracy is
the less it is controlled by others and the less interested in conflict all
parties are.
    This is VERY tied into our mutual interest in antique tractors because
we are preserving history and reminding people how to do things locally. I
saw at the farm show lots of small enterprises that were begun because
someone saw a problem that needed solving or an opportunity to fill what
appeared to be an unmet need to help productivity. This in turn leads to a
better economy. Perhaps we can even help those making parts for tractors
that are no longer produced....
    In all, our interest can be very useful in addition to fun.