[AT] KY farm show

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Tue Feb 15 08:42:16 PST 2005

All, the World Ag Expo last week at Tulare (California) was very good. I
must admit that the $500,000+ cotton pickers didn't interest me (although my
wife thought the command center was like a space ship when she climbed up
the three sets of stairs to get into the cab and yes that really is the
price!), but there were LOTS of things for those of us "older" folks. There
were great welding, irrigation, pruning and dairy demonstrations. I learned
how to repair several items that I could not figure out how to fix on my own
because the manufacturer told me how. The nurseries had samples of citrus
that I had never had and lots of really great price and availability lists.
Also, there were experts on nearly every kind of power transmission and
antique tractors at the branch booths and as items of interest. And the Ag
schools were promoting themselves and partnerships with farmers. Oh and good
cheese samples! LOL.
    Bottom line, it was a great show for those interested in agriculture or
just in learning and willing to ask questions.
    I know that many of those things would not be at the Kentucky show as
there is not citrus or winter veggies there, cool new and old irrigation
technologies, California weather or Asian crops, but I am sure that the same
attitude about helping potential customers learn is there. have fun!
        Grant Brians
        Hollister California