[AT] John Deere Days / Ag Progress Days / PA Farm Show

Troy Bogdan tbogdan1 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 15 05:14:04 PST 2005

> Subject: [AT] farm machinery films
>> And speaking of old farm machinery films, how many of you remember going
> to "John Deere Days" or as it was later known, "Farming Frontiers"?

Yes, I remember going to John Deere Days, how could I forget, I've been to
several over the past few years.  They used to be a dinner event (I remember
the Green & Yellow cake for dessert), but now they run all day and are
usually a buffet lunch.  They still show movies, and do the prize giveaways,
and usually parts and machinery are all on sale that day, so that was always
the day to buy the things you needed so you would get a discount.

>Subject: RE: [AT] 1955 farm equipment films

>Bob,

>Since you mention that they show the PSU Ag campus, could it be that this
>was filmed during Ag Progress Days that the University puts on (or used to)
>every fall?  I don't know if Ag Progress Days went back that far, but I used
>to hook off school and tag along with my dad just about every year as a kid
>through the 70's & early 80's.
>Mike Mummert

Yes, Ag Progress days is still going on also.  I've been to the last two,
and they are not held on Penn State's campus, rather, at their experimental
farm at Rock Springs, which is not too far away from the main campus.  They
are not in the Fall anymore though, they are in the middle of Summer.  I
heard from an Old-Timer that in the past this event traveled around the
state, and went to different farms to show off their equipment and stuff,
but in my farming life, they have always been at Rock Springs.

>I am curious if any of you Pa folks on the list know if the annual
>Harrisburg Farm Show is still being held and, if not, do you know when the
>last one was held.  I attended the Winter 1955 show which, as I recall, was
>in February.  Big deal for a kid (got to get out of school) -

>Dudley
>Snohomish, Washington

Yes, the PA Farm show is still going strong also.  It is held in Harrisburg
every February at the Farm Show Complex.  I usually attend, although I
didn't make it this year.  It is still a big deal.  Even our Pennsylvania
Lottery prints scratch-off instant lottery tickets each year with the farm
show theme.  I think this year they were called "Money Farm" or something.
and they had cartoon pictures of livestock on them.

That's it for now, reporting from Pennsylvania, Troy Bogdan